It is easy to see the postural changes through pregnancy- the woman’s center of gravity changes, the weight of the baby places increased pressure on the spine and pelvis, and towards the end of the pregnancy, changes are seen in how you walk. What we can’t see, are the millions of different hormonal changes and chemical reactions occurring both in the mother and the developing baby, all of which are controlled through the nervous system.
What is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is health maintenance of the spinal column, discs, and nervous system related to nerves and bone geometry without drugs or surgery. It involves the art and science of adjusting misaligned joint of the body, especially of the spine, which reduces spinal nerve stress and therefore promotes health throughout the body.
Why Should I Have Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy?
- Chiropractic care during pregnancy helps create an optimal environment for developing the baby while your body is undergoing physiological and endocrinological changes which could otherwise result in protruding abdomen & increased back curve, pelvic changes, and postural adaptations.
- Establishing pelvic balance & alignment provides a safe and healthy place for the baby to grow.
- When the pelvis is misaligned it may reduce the amount of room available for developing the baby.
- A misaligned pelvis may also make it difficult for the baby to get into the best possible position for delivery.
- Breech & posterior positions (which interfere with natural ease of labor) can be prevented.
- The Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics reported an 82% success rate of babies turning vertex when doctors of chiropractic used adjusting with the Webster Technique on pregnant patients
- Studies have shown that women receiving chiropractic care throughout their first pregnancy had 24% shorter labor times than the group not receiving chiropractic care.
- 84% of women report relief of back pain during pregnancy with chiropractic care.
- Because the sacroiliac joints of the pelvis function better, there is significantly less likelihood of back labor when receiving chiropractic care through pregnancy.
- Adjustments result in easier pregnancy & delivery because of optimal baby positioning and pelvic alignment, which means less complications with the baby’s birth.
- Greater complications during delivery result in greater neurological insult to the newborn due to injury to the head and neck, as well as a higher likelihood of a cesarean section.
Talk with your health care provider to see if this is right for you. Dr. Beebe is trained to work with women who are pregnant and uses techniques that avoid unneeded pressure on the abdomen.
For more information or to schedule an appointment please call our office at 503-620-1280 or email Ellie Saxton at email@example.com.