Until the last two weeks, Oregon has been spared the wave of influenza outbreaks that’s hit the rest of the county. Public health officials say that lull appears to be ending as they are now seeing reports of flu-like illnesses climb rapidly.
According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, there are now 41 states experiencing widespread flu activity. Some U.S. cities are reporting more than 10 times as many as the 2011-2012’s documented cases of the flu.
Protect yourself from the virus by staying vigilant with the following:
- Avoid white sugar
- Exercise regularly
- Get adequate sleep
- Eat a healthy diet
- Drink plenty of purified water
- WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY!
If you are already experiencing symptoms of the flu, try the following to for relief:
- Stay at home and receive plenty of rest
- Drink lots of fluids: Fluids help keep your respiratory system hydrated and liquefy the thick mucus that can build up to cause infection in your bronchial tubes.
- Treat aches & fever so you remain comfortable: Refer back to October’s newsletter and use artificial fever therapy to provide relief!
- Use cough suppressants & expectorants to treat the cough
- Use steam inhalation: Fill the bathroom sink with steaming water. Add either a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol to the steaming water or 1 teaspoon of over-the-counter ointment Vicks Vapo Rub, and then breathe in the steam for several minutes until you feel relief.
- Sit in a steamy bathroom
- Run the humidifier
- Use soothing lozenges
- Use saline (salt water) nose drops: Put several drops into one nostril and then gently blow the mucus and saline out of that nostril. Repeat the process in the opposite nostril until both are unblocked.
Beebe Chiropractic & Wellness Center is located in Tigard, OR within the Portland Metro area. Dr. Daniel Beebe cares for patients with sports, work & auto injuries, neck & lower back pain, headaches & migraines, chronic pain, scoliosis and more. For more information visit BeebeChiro.com.